Monday, February 20, 2006

on a more serious note

this past weekend, university of michigan freshman john mitchell passed away after being in a drug induced coma from a snowboarding accident up north. after two suicides at the university in the past month, it is difficult for me to even ponder the amount of loss, heartbreak, pain and frustration those that were close with the people involved have felt.

i came across mr. mitchell's facebook profile, and was overwhelmed to see the way friends and other students have reached out and used the site as a coping tool and a way to pay their respects. this is one of the most fascinating and bizzarely moving things i have seen in a long time, and i felt the need to post it to illuminate the power a website has to create a posthumous shrine. here is a sampling of what mr. mitchell's wall looks like. it is painted with love and kind words that truly touched me as i did something so mundane as log in to the facebook.

[names have been hidden to protect identities]

____ (MSU) wrote
at 3:33pm
john i didnt know you all too well but from what i did you a great person. i know you are up there smiling down on the ones you loved RIP ____
Message


____wrote
at 12:06pm
John, I remember the Observerland meet when you had a pulled hamstring and you fought through it, and helped Stevenson win Long Jump. You were an amazing athlete and an even better friend. You encouraged me even when I was your competition; you supported me when no one else did. You will never be forgotten. -____
Message


____(Ferris State) wrote
at 3:13am
I dont know what to say man. Everyone that knows you loves you. you were the best of the best. it will never be the same. i'm going to miss u and i cant wait to see u again. I love u bro.
Message


____ wrote
at 9:17pm February 19th, 2006
John, I'll never forget the great times I had with you at Michigan. You are a such an amazing person in every way. You are smart, athletic, and one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. We are all deeply saddened, and you will be forever loved and missed. You truly made the world a better place. Miss you Johnny, rest in peace... ____
Message


____ (Albion) wrote
at 4:26pm February 19th, 2006
I..don't even know what to say..you were a great person. I wish you could see how much you will be missed. peace
Message


____ wrote
at 4:10pm February 19th, 2006
John...I really don't think its hit me yet what it means that you're gone. I honestly don't think I've ever met a nicer guy, you were such an awesome friend and I'm going to miss you tons. Thanks for always being there for me...I know someday I'll see you again. Everyone here loves and misses you so much!! R.I.P.
Message


____ (Northwood) wrote
at 1:58pm February 19th, 2006
There will never be another person like you John. You were truly a great person. A person who would go great distances for other people. You had everything going for you and it is not fair becuase you had the whole world coming to you. You will forever be missed!!! I will never forget you my friend. R.I.P.
Message


____ (Grand Valley State) wrote
at 11:55am February 19th, 2006
Wow.... I really don't think it's hit me yet that you're gone. It's times like these where I really question what possible reason God could have had to take you away from us. You had so much going for you and were one of the nicest guys I've ever met. We'll all miss you more than you could possibly imagine, and your family and friends are in my prayers...... R.I.P John......
Message


____ (Central Mich.) wrote
at 11:02am February 19th, 2006
You were a really nice person I can't say anything bad about you. i will definatly keep you in my prayers. RIP John ____Message


____ wrote
at 4:28am February 19th, 2006
John, you are a great person. Everything that you did reflected that. I will miss you very much along with everyone that had the pleasure of knowing you. We know that you are in a better place but dont ever doubt that we miss you here. Love you!...and you will NEVER be forgotten!!!
Message


____ (MSU) wrote
at 1:04am February 19th, 2006
John, I miss you so much already. It's not the same when the group gets together anymore. When Lia came into the house today it was hard for me to think you wouldn't be following her close behind. You were an amazing friend and one that will never be forgotten. We love you and we miss you. See you when we get there...
Message


____ wrote
at 12:45am February 19th, 2006
John, you have been and still are in all of our prayers. We all miss you so much.
Message


____ (MSU) wrote
at 7:47pm February 18th, 2006
john u will always be here in spirit! i'll miss you tons buddy...tear! RIP
Message


____ wrote
at 7:38pm February 18th, 2006
John, Life is not always fair. You are one of the nicest kids I've ever known, and I will miss you. It was awesome playing basketball with you bcuz you always worked hard and got along with everyone. You made every day of practice so much better. I wish we wouldv'e stayed in touch more after basketball, but I know you are going to a better place now. Everyone is going to miss you so much. We need to think about all the good things you brought to others and stay strong bcuz you were one of the strongest, smartest, nicest, most sincere human beings I have ever been around. I'll miss you John! RIP
Message


____ (MSU) wrote
at 5:45pm February 18th, 2006
John~ i dont even kno where to begine...we didnt really know eachother very well but we've hung out here and there. I have known lia for a very long time and what i do know about you is that u made lia soooooo happy. life isnt always fair, but i beleive that everything happens for a reason...you will never be forgotton love you, mo
Message


____ ♥ (MSU) wrote
at 5:14pm February 18th, 2006
I will always remember eating ice cubes with you after tennis. :) Sorry I never held your hand roller skating when we were little, when you asked. I really did want to. You will never be forgetten. :) You are amazing.
Message


____ (Central Mich.) wrote
at 4:41pm February 18th, 2006
come june, ill celebrate for the both of us. but i kno ull b there in spirit. ill miss ya
Message


____ wrote
at 4:34pm February 18th, 2006
we'll all miss you tons ♥ you're one of the best
Message


____ (Creative Studies) wrote
at 4:28pm February 18th, 2006
dear johnny...
Message


____ (E. Michigan) wrote
at 4:26pm February 18th, 2006
you'll always be with us John!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, Aro. "Fascinating and bizzarely moving" is a perfect way to descbe that, and it's definately one of those things that's a blog is perfect to draw attention to. I just stumbled onto your blog and now I'm a autumnattic regular. Good luck on the pages.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home